The ancient city of Vergina

To the west, southwest ends of the plain of Thessaloniki, at the northern edge of Pieria, east of Aliakmon river lie Vergina and Palatitsia, two neighboring villages that define the area of the town of Aiges, the Macedonians’ capital until the early fourth century BC and the area of the royal necropolis. The excavations started in 1861 by French archaeologist L. Heuzey and were continued from 1938 to today. The monumental palace, parts of the ancient city and its fortification, the theater and numerous Macedonian tombs were brought to light by the excavations. In parallel, north of the ancient city

Read More…