“Extreme sports” is a term that is frequently used in the world of today. The escalating need to have thrill and adventure in life has increased the scope of extreme sports all over the world. While we are aware of the term sports, its combination with the word extreme gives it a totally new meaning. The term together refers to the kinds of sport activities that trigger an adrenaline rush in the participant. These activities are extremely risky and can result in fatal injuries. This very riskiness of these activities adds thrill and adventure to the participant’s life. Just like other developed countries, Greece also offers opportunity of participating in the extreme-sport activities. Extreme sports in Greece are the most viable option for people who want to experience thrill and adventure in their lives.
While Greece is a beautiful country to live in and to visit for vacations, it is important to know about activities that make the country attractive for the tourists and the residents. Having natural beauty and an amazing landscape doesn’t make a country attractive for the people of today. People do appreciate nature and beauty but they need different sources of enjoyment in a country. Every person defines enjoyment differently. Therefore, residents and tourists who perceive thrilling adventures to be a source of enjoyment should participate in the extreme sports in Greece.
There are no defined sport activities that fall under the category of extreme sports. However, the level of riskiness can determine whether a sport activity is extreme or not. A vast range of such activities are practiced around the globe. Similarly, extreme sports in Greece also consist of various sport activities that interest different types of potential participants. Although the participants of extreme supports are willing to risk their physical health and life for the sake of adventure, but to what extent are they willing to risk it? The severity of these sport activities differ with different types. Some are considered generally less risky than the others. The participant can choose to opt for a less risky extreme sport activity in order to experience the adventure without taking a major risk.
It is important to know that extreme sport activities are usually not carried out in teams and therefore are required to be performed individually. Few famous types of extreme sports in Greece are explained below:
- The Hang Gliding Extreme Sport Activity – This sport activity is one of the most thrilling extreme sports in Greece. The activity is assisted by a glider i.e. a flying machine that assists a person to glide through the sky.
It is not as easy as it sounds. The participant actually has to hang himself in a position that makes him or her sway like a pendulum. The changing air assists the ability of the participant to move in a certain direction. Hang gliding is trending day by day. It started in the country in 1978 and has continued to attract more participants since then. Many Greek adventure and sports club are offering the hang gliding extreme sport activity.
- The Wind Surfing Extreme Sport Activity – As the name depicts the nature of this sport activity is very exciting and is preferred by people of all ages and genders. The activity falls under the category of extreme sports as the participant has little or no control over the activity itself. The weather conditions strongly affect the sport activity. The participant does not need body strength in wind surfing however he or she has to be accurate about the technique applied. If the right wind surfing technique isn’t used, the activity can result in severe injuries. Wind surfing is one of the most preferred extreme sports in Greece due to it being naturally supported by the weather conditions.
- The Mountain Climbing Extreme Sport Activity -Easier as it may sound, riskier it is. Mountain climbing is the extreme sport version for hiking. It basically required a participant to get to the top of a mountain peak. The participant has to do it within a certain time limit. The usual requirement is to complete 300 m of elevation in each hour. Failure to do so will result in disqualification. Usually this sport activity is completed in seven to ten hours depending upon the altitude of the mountain. Mountain climbing has a less risk severity as compared to other extreme sports in Greece.
Other extreme sports offered in the country include, Kayaking, Bungee Jumping, Scuba Diving, etc. There is a wide variety of these sport activities available for all the adventure lovers. However, it is advised to participate in these activities only if you are an expert or you have sufficient knowledge about them. Some of the activities, like bungee jumping, do not require any expertise. All they require is courage. Therefore, if you are not an expert, choose an activity that doesn’t require a learned technique.
While there are many opportunities available for you to participate in the extreme sports in Greece, a few guidelines that are stated below will help you choose the opportunity most suitable to your requirements.
- Determine your level of risk tolerance – Since extreme sports are very risky, you should determine the level of risk you can undertake. Otherwise, the activity can prove medically hazardous or even fatal in some cases.
- Select the activity – If you have a low risk tolerance, you can opt for those extreme sports that are offered with technical assistance, i.e. that appear extreme but are not actually extreme. However, if you have a high risk tolerance, select the one that thrills you the most.
- Select the activity club- There are many Greek adventure and sports club that offer extreme sports in Greece. Select one that is nationally registered and that has implemented all the standard measures and abides by all the legal regulations for the safety of the participant.
By participating in these activities offered within the country, you are going to experience the adventure of your life and you are never going to forget your stay in Greece.