How do you select the ideal beach for you? Are you looking for activity and services or a peace and quiet atmosphere? The islands in Greece have beaches to cater to everyone’s taste. These beaches stand in the top ten beaches across the world. The interesting aspect of these beaches is that they have their own unique style and character. Most of the beaches are tiny and remote; perfect for the two of you. Read this guide to find the top ten beaches in the country.
The well-known Greek islands have many appealing features. People are greatly drawn to these beaches mainly because of the sand and sun. The best time to travel to Greece and soak in the sun and sandy beaches is between June and October. The country has many astonishing beaches. Let’s have a look at the top ten beaches in Greece.
10) The beach which gets a lot of visitors every year is Myrtos Beach in Kefalonia, which is one of the most exotic beaches in the country. It lays between the feet of the mountains Agia Dynati and Kalon Oros. This magnificent beach is composed of round, white cobblestones. It has gained a reputation worldwide and is often included in travel magazines. Myrtos has been known for crystal clear water and the beauty surrounding it. It’s semicircular in shape and is surrounded by wonderful white rocky cliffs which results in a spectacular setting. The beach is decorated with umbrellas and sundecks, and provides the ideal atmosphere for visitors wishing to soak up in its beauty. The Municipality in the region runs a public bus service to and from Myrtos beach during the summer months when there are plenty of tourists around. It can be accessed through a curved road with the help of all means of transport.
9) The Mpalos Beach in Crete is a favorite tourist spot and is located on the North West side of the peninsula opposite to the Gramvoussa Island. It is one of the most attractive beaches in Greece with its beauty not enough to be contained in words. It can be accessed by boat or by car till a particular location on top of a nearby mountain. You then need to walk under the sun. You can get an amazing view of Mpalos from the top of the mountain.
8) The Sarakiniko beach on Milos Island is located on the north shore of the island. The people in the region quite often describe the landscape of the beach as Lunar. This is because the scenery around gives one the impression of standing on the moon’s surface. It’s one of the most beautiful beaches of Milos and a unique one and a favorite photographed spot. Its landscape is highly appealing and truly unforgettable. There are long horizontal rocks which are bent over the sea. These rocks have been eroded with time and salt water. Hence they have huge hollows all over them. The landscape doesn’t show any sign of vegetation and has been colored brightly.
7) Voutomi beach, with its impressive turquoise and indigo waters, figures in the top ten beaches in Greece. It is located on the north eastern coast of Antipaxos, which is a tiny island; in fact the smallest of the Ionian Islands. The population of this island varies between 30 and 100 inhabitants. It’s an attractive, pebbled beach located inside a huge cove. Tall rocks cover the two sides of the beach. The beach attracts many tourists from Paxoi, Corfu and also Italy during the summer time, who wants to swim in the turquoise blue crystal clear waters. The water is perfect for people for all age groups, while snorkeling near the rocks is a wonderful activity. Voutomi can be accessed by yacht, water taxis and even tour boats. There are few sun beds in the coast. Hence the best option is to carry your own shades that are provided by the tour operators. You can find a tavern right on the hill beside the beach where you can get traditional snacks. The island doesn’t have any shops but you can get the famous local wine at the taverns. Besides this the secluded area has no other facilities.
6) The Porto Katsiki beach situated 40 km south west of Lefkada is one of the most sought after beaches in Greece. This beach is long and sandy and is surrounded by wonderful hills. It can be reached by eighty steps down the cliff. On the top of the stairs is a snacks bar and also a provision for car parking. Katsiki can be accessed by a taxi boat from the two villages of Vassiliki and Nidri. The beach pulls in thousands of tourists during the summer months.
5) Simos Beach in Elafonisos is one of the best beaches in Greece. You can reach the beach by car, although the road has to be repaired. Remember that there are two Simos Beaches. They are Megalos Simos and Mikros Simos which means Large Simos and Small Simos respectively. Both these beaches are sandy beaches with crystal clear blue waters.
4) Pori Beach at Koufonisia is a wonderful beach in Greece where one can see plenty of coves and rock formations. It has fine light sand and is in the shape of an attractive half moon. It’s also well protected from the north wind that blows in from time to time. The place is ideal for swimming with clear clean blue water. You are advised to carry drinking water if you are visiting Pori beach as it get a bit warm sometimes. The beach is ideal for visitors who want to get tanned and also for those who just want to have a nice time.
3) The region of Chalkidiki has some wonderful beaches in Greece. Sarti beach is one among them with crystal clear waters and pines.
2) Prasonisi beach in the southernmost point of Rhodes is a beautiful beach in the country. It’s an exotic destination for lovers of surfing. The beach gets separated in two long sandy beaches in the summer months. One has calm waters and the other has high waves, the right destination for water sports. The sun here can be quite strong.
1) The beach of Navagio or Shipwreck, situated in the eastern part of the island, close to the Anafotiria village is the most famous of Zakynthos beaches. It was originally called Agios Georgio but got its new name due to the shipwreck of a boat that carried illegal cigarettes in 1983. This beach can be accessed by a small boat from the small port of Porto Vromi.