Greece is a very beautiful country with countless golden beaches and crystal blue sea. Some people who visit or live in Greece are happy just lying beside the Mediterranean but those who want to do something in it, on it or under it, look for something special and quite extreme. That’s why are created a lot of beach clubs which can organize a wide range of watersports, from sailing to diving and windsurfing to waterskiing. The country offers full equipped supplies with high quality services on the islands and at the mainland. The 3,000 Greek islands is an ideal place to explore, an opportunity to discover virgin beaches and more than 20,000 km of coastline to admire.
The most popular modern watersport is waterskiing. It’s not necessary special training and also there is a plenty of private schools which operate in organized beaches and facilities of big hotels to help you. The most famous watersport in Greece is sailing in all types of sailing vessels even at the professional level, winning many medals for the country in international contests. Also, it’s suggested for all the visitors and residents of Greece the charming watersport of diving. In Greece diving with equipment is allowed freely everywhere, except in areas with underwater archaeological finds. There are dozens of dive schools in almost all the islands and they are open daily until sunset. For those who do not have a lot of time for lessons do not worry, there are other easier sports as jet ski, rowing, kayaking etc.
Windsurfing in Greece
The most absolutely exciting watersport is certainly windsurfing, a sport which requires little physical strength but correct technique. Some of the places where someone can find clubs for organized windsurfing are:
- Attica beaches: Anavyssos, Varkiza, Lavrio, Loutsa, Rafina, Schinias (Marathon) and the Blue Coast (Marathon).
- Cyclades beaches: in Paros (beaches Gold Coast, New Gold Coast, Tsoukalia, Punta and Santa Maria), in Mykonos (beaches Ftelia and Kalafatis), in Naxos (Saint George Beach and Little Vigla), in Ios (beach Mylopotas) and beaches in Santorini.
- Dodecanese: in Rhodes (beach Thirty, Fanes, Prassonissi and Theologos), in Karpathos (Devil’s bay) and beaches in Kos.
- Peloponnese: beaches Zaharo and Drepano.
- Ionian Islands: in Leykada (beach Vasiliki) and beaches in Zakynthos.
- Macedonia: in Thessaloniki (beaches Trinity, New Michaniona) and Volvi’s lake. Also, in Halkidiki (Sunny beach).
For more information you can contact with the Greek Federation of Windsurfing.
Scuba diving and snorkeling are the easiest ways to approach someone the underwater world. With main supplies your breath and simple equipment (which should contain: mask, snorkel, flippers and perhaps a protect suit) every single of you can joy the beauty of the seabed with the most natural way. For the scuba diving, the diver carries the necessary air under pressure in suitable bottles so has an ability of considerable freedom under the water. Greece has about 85 diving centers and diving is totally permitted throughout the Greek territory (except the declared archaeological and other protected places).
Kalymnos is an island of Dodecanese in Southeast Greece. It is famous worldwide as ‘’ the island of the sea-sponge harvesters’’. The island has a number of unique advantages for the diving and snorkeling tourism so take a look of them.
- It has the largest in Greece coast for free diving (12klm).
- Traditional diving destination with unique techniques, diving ways and life inextricably linked with the sea.
- It has the only professional school for divers in Greece.
- In the island is available one of the few decompression chambers in Greece for possible accidents and three certificated diving centers.
- You can visit 2 museums which present the Greek diving tradition and the Greek seabed.
- The seabed of Kalymnos is full of flora and fauna, suitable for observation and study. Also, the seabed has a complicated terrain which offers whatever a diver looks for like caves, wrecks even a volcano’s crater!
- It has the unique in all the Mediterranean Sea sponge farms and a plenty of protected species which only their existence is enough to attract divers from all over the world.
Funny and pleasant watersports – Waterskiing, tubes and bananas and jet ski!
Waterskiing is available at the plenty of the organized beaches in Greece, it’s a fast and spectacular sport with great interesting. 1 hour of waterskiing gets away from you 450 kcal. But here is an advice: before trying make sure you will not be afraid! Also, if you can’t stand, leave the rope, otherwise you will be forced to do waterski with the belly something which honestly will not like you at all!
The tubes and bananas tied behind a speedboat follow its direction with speed 20-25 knots and turn abruptly, knocking over the waves trying to work off on them, you and your friends. Those who stand more, joy the game. The others, who fast got down, wait to collect them… An advice: there is no need for fear but for strong muscles and heart, the adrenaline goes high and every time you fall, you think that you could resist for a little bit more…
Jet skiing is a sport which offers pleasant and funny moments. The jet ski has 4 seats and cubism until 120hp. For the official races the driver must obligingly to wear gloves, protection glasses, helmet etc. For a simple riding just follow the rules and enjoy yourself. It’s necessary a user’s diploma and distance at least 200 meters away from the coast.